In this tutorial, you’ll learn
- How an IELTS examiner would look at your Academic TASK 1 bar chart essay and what they are looking for using the key IELTS band marking descriptors.
- How a really good Band 6.5 Task 1 can easily be upgraded and transformed into a really great Band 7 response using a Student’s essay as an example.
- How focusing on Superlative and clever Comparative structures is the BEST WAY to score Band 7 in these Task 1 essays!
- How to quickly and easily choose what to write about – what are the ‘key features’ of this bar chart?
This will help you in your IELTS because :
- By understanding what makes a good Band 6.5 essay you can work towards achieving a Band 7 simply by listening to our corrections and suggestions.
- You will be able to show the examiner strength in ‘Grammatical range and accuracy’ through comparative structures,
- Show strength in ‘Task Achievement’ using quick checks to make sure you are fully answering all aspects of the instructions,
- Show strength in ‘Lexical range ‘ by varying your vocabulary and….
- Show strength in ‘Coherence and cohesion ‘ by using the best connecting or link words.
You can download or listen to the audio version here:
READ THE FULL ESSAY HERE :
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
The graph below presents the movie preferences of young adults (worldwide).
Summarise the information by selecting and report in the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words.
The bar chart illustrates the preferred movie genre of young adults, both males and females, from all over the world.
Focusing on the male public, it can be noted that comedy and action were the all-time favourites, at 145 and 137 respectively. Even though the following preferred / next most popular group comprised of horror, drama and animation which ranged between 63 and 73 viewers, the difference was remarkable. Strikingly, romance movies were the least chosen of all, representing almost a fifth that of comedy at 31 spectators.
Turning to female choices, comedy was likewise the favourite genre with 137 viewers. Unlike males, the second preferred type of movie was the romantic ones, at 116. Regarding the remaining genres, animation, horror, action and drama varied between 54 and 86, with no clear favouritism.
Overall, what stands out from the graph is that although comedy was the type of movie of choice for both groups, the contrast observed in romance films was dramatic with the female viewership amounting to almost four times that of the males.