In this tutorial, we discuss how to vary your linking phrases using synonyms in IELTS Task 2.
We look at:
- How to enhance coherence and cohesion in your writing.
- The importance of varying your linking phrases using synonyms for improved writing.
- Examples of bad and good uses of linking phrases.
- Examples of synonyms and their uses to avoid repetitive language.
In IELTS Writing Task 2, using a variety of linking phrases is crucial for demonstrating your language proficiency and enhancing the coherence of your essay.
While it is important to use cohesive linking words, it is equally important to avoid repetitive phrases.
In this tutorial, we will explore the significance of varying your linking phrases using synonyms, provide examples of both ineffective and effective usage, and offer a list of useful words with example sentences to enhance your understanding.
Example 1 (Bad):
Government regulation can have a significant impact on the economy. Furthermore, it affects various sectors such as finance, healthcare, and the environment. In the financial industry, banks must follow strict guidelines for lending and investments. For instance, they need to comply with regulations to prevent fraudulent practices. Moreover, in healthcare, regulations focus on maintaining quality services and patient safety. Similarly, environmental regulations protect natural resources and prevent pollution. Hence, government regulation has a substantial impact on the economy and different sectors.
Note: This example is a bad use of linking phrases because it heavily relies on the repetitive phrase “government regulation.” The repetition of the same phrase throughout the paragraph makes it monotonous and lacks variety. Varying the linking phrases using synonyms would have improved the overall coherence and readability of the paragraph.
Example 2 (Bad):
The economic cost of government regulation can be substantial. However, businesses may need to incur additional expenses to comply with regulations. For example, they may need to invest in new equipment, technologies, and additional staff. As a result, this can have a negative impact on profitability and hinder business growth. Additionally, excessive regulation can discourage entrepreneurship and innovation. Consequently, start-ups and entrepreneurs may face numerous barriers to entry due to regulatory requirements, which restrict their ability to compete effectively. Hence, the economic cost of government regulation is significant.
Note: This example is another bad use of linking phrases. While it includes a variety of linking phrases, such as “however,” “for example,” and “additionally,” it lacks the use of synonyms. The repetition of the phrase “government regulation” and the repetitive use of linking phrases make the paragraph less engaging and hinder the flow of ideas.
Example 3 (Good):
Government regulations can impose a substantial economic burden on businesses. In order to comply with these regulations, companies often face increased expenses. For instance, they may need to invest in new equipment, technologies, and additional staff. These added costs can reduce profitability and hinder the growth potential of businesses. Moreover, excessive rules can deter entrepreneurship and innovation. Start-ups and entrepreneurs face numerous barriers to entry due to regulatory requirements, limiting their ability to compete with established companies. Therefore, it is evident that the economic burden imposed by governmental oversight is significant.
Note: This example demonstrates a good use of linking phrases by varying them using synonyms. Instead of repetitively using “government regulation,” the paragraph incorporates synonyms such as “governmental oversight” and “regulatory requirements.” The use of varied linking phrases adds variety to the paragraph and enhances its coherence and readability.
List of Useful Words with Example Sentences:
- Furthermore: Government regulations aim to protect consumers and ensure fair competition. Furthermore, they contribute to the overall stability of the market.
- In addition: Businesses must comply with various regulations related to safety, health, and environmental protection. In addition, they need to adhere to labor laws and taxation requirements.
- Additionally: Excessive government regulation can have a detrimental impact on small businesses. Additionally, it can hinder economic growth and discourage investment.
- Moreover: Government regulation plays a vital role in maintaining public safety. Moreover, it helps create a level playing field for businesses.
- On the other hand: Government regulation can be seen as a necessary measure to protect consumers.
You can download or listen to the full tutorial here: