In this episode, we focus on how to speak confidently in the IELTS Speaking section of the exam.
The problem is that you have a good speaking ability but cannot transform that into a good speaking band score.
It’s very common to be able to hold a high-level conversation with a person you know well, or on a topic, you enjoy and study.
But then, in an exam room…
Basically because of nerves and a lack of preparation. You may experience a few of the following problems:
- unable to understand the examiner’s accent.
- lack knowledge about the topic the examiner is asking questions about.
- no idea how to talk for 2 minutes on a topic you are not interested in.
- complete unfamiliarity with the exam format.
- nervousness in an exam environment.
One of the best solutions is to work both sides of the issue, the exam-specific issues and the confidence issues.
IELTS Speaking Exam skills can be gained by getting complete familiarity with the format, not just reading about it, but also experiencing it.
For example, there is a big difference between reading that the presentation has to last 2 minutes and actually DOING A PRESENTATION for 2 minutes.
So getting completely familiar with the exam format is one area that needs to be taken care of.
The IELTS Speaking Confidence course deals with all of the exam issues, so you can pass with a score that truly reflects your ability.
The second part of the equation is general speaking confidence.
Why is speaking confidently important in IELTS?
Learning to speak confidently during the test is an important part of the equation.
Well with confidence you can easily improve your score. Why?
Because you doubt what you are saying a lot less so you sound more fluent. You probably speak a little louder making it easier for you to be understood. You may be more expressive with your body language again making it easier to understand you.
There are a few more methods in the podcast, so have a listen and let me know which ones you find the most useful. Also, remember to have a look at the Speaking section of our tutorials if you want to get the exam skills under complete control and pass IELTS.
Sample IELTS Speaking Questions
- IELTS Speaking Cue Cards for Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3
- 15 IELTS Speaking Cue Cards with follow-up questions
- IELTS Speaking Cue Cards about Places
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Cue Cards about People
- IELTS Speaking Cue Cards about Accommodation
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 cue card topics and sample answers
More IELTS Speaking Tutorials
- IELTS Speaking Vocabulary
- IELTS Speaking Idioms
- How to give your opinion in the speaking exam
- Making notes for speaking part 2
- How to speak about your hobbies in part 1
- How to get band 9 in your IELTS Speaking
- Tips for IELTS Speaking Part
- IELTS Speaking vocabulary to help you prepare
- Band 9 pronunciation for IELTS Speaking