Home » IELTS writing task 2 questions » Sample environment writing topics for task 2
Task 2 writing can be the hardest skill for many candidates and we are here to help!
Writing task 2 academic questions are challenging for many students because it’s difficult to predict what question types might come up from the many possible task 2 topics. However, a task 2 related to the environment is very likely and practising writing task 2 topics on the environment will definitely help you be better prepared for the test.
Environmental issues and climate change have always been an interesting and polarising topics in our world and every student will have an opinion on them based on their own life experiences.
We have plenty of environment task 2 questions below based on IELTS Cambridge and British Council/IDP official materials to support you with your task 2 IELTS writing preparation.
What about the first sentence of the question?
Remember that with task 2 statements (the first sentence of the question) you are not required to write a paragraph about them, just paraphrase the statement as the first sentence of your introduction. Writing task 2 questions expect you to focus on the parts of the question with question marks but a lot of candidates get confused and start writing about the wrong thing.
Should there be a general line on environment for task 2?
Not at all, all environment-related task 2 questions are somewhat flexible, and you are not required to answer your IELTS essay in a certain way or be an expert. The best way to tackle a task 2 on environment is to write about what you know – for example, if you are in India, what environmental issues are affecting your region? Overuse of plastic, pesticides, climate change and global warming and the impact on farming and animal life?
Take some time to look at the environment writing task 2 questions below and think about how you might answer each one, and what topic-specific vocabulary you might use. Remember, as well as talking about environmental problems, writing task 2 may require you to discuss potential solutions.
Sample Environment task 2 IELTS topics/questions
- Environmental issues such as climate change have always been an international problem because governments are not imposing harsh punishments against offenders. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Support your answer with specific reasons and examples.
- Managing global environmental issues should be handled by one organization on a global scale. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.
- Many agricultural lands are being converted into commercial centres. How does this affect the environment and people’s lifestyle? Discuss this situation and provide suggestions to address these issues. Support your answer with specific reasons and examples.
- Many efforts have been made by countries to address challenges concerning the environment but the situation has not improved. What are the possible reasons for environmental degradation? Are there any solutions to combat this problem? Support your answer with specific reasons and examples.
- Nowadays, it is possible to move ocean creatures from their natural habitat at sea and have them relocated to marine parks for the purpose of education and entertainment. Do you think the advantages of this development outweigh the disadvantages? Explain your reasons and support them with specific examples.
- The government should close companies that produce toxic waste materials without their own waste treatment facility in order to protect the environment. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to support your position.
- Many believe that companies behind oil and gas production promote new boundless opportunities while others fear the results from their intrusion in nature. Discuss possible reasons, results and solutions.
- Why do we need to prevent the extinction of animal life if the extinction of creatures like dinosaurs and dodos was caused by natural processes? What is your opinion about this?
- People produce more carbon emissions and garbage than in the past. Explain how it is affecting us and the measures that could be taken to address the situation. Provide specific examples and explanation to support your answer.
- In modern times, some species of animal life are slowly disappearing. Do you think that it is acceptable l for species to become extinct? What are the possible reasons and consequences of this extinction? Provide reasons and examples to explain your opinion.
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Protecting the Environment from air pollution is the responsibility of the government. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.
- Do you agree or disagree that the world was a better place decades ago than it is today? Why do you think so? Give specific details and examples to support your answer.
Summary: Sample environment topics for task 2
The environment task 2 IELTS questions above give a good overview of the different topics you may need to write about in your IELTS essay. If you have more knowledge about increasing populations, climate change, carbon emissions or animal life and an animal species under threat, you can discuss these with relevant examples if it fits into your topic.
We have more information on IELTS writing at the IELTS Podcast. Want more help with writing task 2 on environment with answers? For an introduction on how to start IELTS writing task 2 click here.
For an introduction on how to start IELTS writing task 2 click here.