Take a look at these 35 sample Band 9 IELTS essays for writing task 2 of the IELTS exam. Task 2 can cover a wide range of essay topics for the IELTS writing task section of the test, so preparation is key. Use the following samples when preparing your IELTS essays to see how close you are to a band 9!
These IELTS band 9 essay samples will help you highlight your mistakes and improve your writing band 9 level.
See the below IELTS essay writing sample questions and answers to practice for your IELTS writing task 2.
You will find the IELTS essay questions and answers categorised by the following essay types.
- Do you agree/disagree
- Discuss both views and give your opinion
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages
- Discuss the problems and possible solutions
- Is this a positive or a negative development
1. Agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that technology has made man more social. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- Some people think that a person improves their intellectual skills more when doing group activities. To what extent do you agree? Use specific details and examples to explain your view.
- In some countries, the number of shootings increase because many people have guns at home. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
- Some people believe that international sporting events are the ideal opportunity to show the world the qualities of the hosting nation. Others believe that these events are mainly a large unjustifiable expense. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Crime is a big problem in the world; many believe that nothing can be done to prevent it. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give your own opinion.
- Doing an enjoyable activity with a child can develop better skills and more creativity than reading. To what extent do you agree? Use reasons and specific examples to explain your answer.
- Improvements in health, education and trade are essential for the development of poorer nations. However, the governments of richer nations should take more responsibility for helping the poorer nations in such areas. To what extent do you agree?
- Advances in health and biology and other areas of society in the last 100 years have transformed the way we live as well as postponing the day we die. There is no better time to be alive than now. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- The world is consuming natural resources faster than they can be renewed. Therefore, it is important that products are made to last. Governments should discourage people from constantly buying more up-to-date or fashionable products. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
- Some people believe that children’s leisure activities must be educational, otherwise, they are a complete waste of time. Do you agree or disagree? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your experience.
- Many governments in the world spend large amounts of money on art, which helps to improve the quality of people’s lives. However, governments should spend money on other things rather than art. Do you agree or disagree? Give your opinion.
2. Discuss both views and give your point of view?
- NEW SEPTEMBER 2022: Some people believe that professionals such as doctors and engineers should be required to work in the country where they did their training. Others believe they should be free to work in another country if they wish. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
- Nowadays most green energy is becoming evermore prevalent in both developed and developing countries. Some argue they greatly reduce costs and are better for the environment, others believe they are a serious threat to energy security. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people are of the opinion that children should be rewarded for good behaviour. Others think they should be punished for bad behaviour. Discuss both views and give your personal opinion and reasons.
- Some people think that keeping pets is good for children while others think it is dangerous and unhealthy. Which opinion do you agree with? Discuss both options and give examples.
- Some people think that secondary school children should study international news as one of the school subjects. Other people think that it is a waste of valuable school time. What do you think? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
- Some products can be made quickly by a machine. Other items take a long time to be made by hand. As a buyer, which do you prefer and why? Give specific details and examples in your answer.
- Some people think women should be given equal chances to work and excel in their careers. Others believe that a woman’s role should be limited to taking care of the house and children. Which opinion do you agree with and why? Include specific details and examples to support your choice.
- Most schools are planning to replace sports and exercise classes with more academic sessions. How will this change affect children’s lives in your view?
- Some people think that schools have to be more entertaining, while others think that their sole purpose is to educate. Which do you agree with? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.
- Some people think that it is acceptable to use animals in medical research for the benefit of human beings, while other people argue that it is wrong.
- Should humans adapt to technology or should technology be adapted to us? Is technology making us intellectually weaker or more intelligent?
- Do copyright laws limit creativity or reward it? Would society function better without such rules and regulations?
- Should education and healthcare be free of charge and funded by the government, or should it be the responsibility of the people to pay for these services? Discuss the above and give your opinion using examples.
3. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages
- Is it good for children to start using computers from an early age and spend long hours on them? Discuss the advantages and disadvantages.
- Some people think high school graduates should travel or work for a period of time instead of going directly to study at university. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of both approaches. Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
4. Two questions, for example: Why is this happening? Is this a positive or negative development?
- These days some people spend a lot of money on tickets to go to sporting or events. Do you think this is a positive or negative development?
- Some people like to travel outside their country. Others would rather travel to tourist spots in their own country first, before travelling abroad. Which do you prefer to do and why? Include specific details and examples to support your choice.
- Women can do everything that men can and they even do it better. They also can do many things that men cannot. But it is a fact that their work is not appreciated as much as men’s, although they have to sacrifice a lot for their family and career… It is said: “A woman’s place is in the home.” What do you think?
5. Discuss the problems and possible solutions OR discuss the causes and what problems it causes?
- People are using a lot of online language translation apps. Do the benefits of this outweigh the disadvantages?
- Obesity is a serious problem in many countries, especially in rich countries. Discuss ways to solve the problem. Provide specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
- Today, the quality of life in large cities is decreasing. Discuss the causes and solutions.
- Research shows that global warming is caused by human activity. What are the possible effects of climate change and what can governments and individuals do to reduce these?
- In many countries, recently young single people have been living far from their parents, from the time they began studies or work and until they married. Do you think there are more advantages or disadvantages to this trend?
- Traditional schooling is out of date, boring and stifles a child’s natural talents, various professionals have pushed for an education revolution. Are there alternatives in the education system? Is traditional education doing more harm than good?
Take a look at some of our writing tasks to help you prepare for your IELTS exam, and if you need more help, we have a course that is guaranteed to help you pass IELTS. Practicing IELTS writing task 2 essays is very important for your exam preparation.
For more preparation, take a look at our latest tutorials:
- Band 9 Model Essay and Vocabulary-Cryptocurrency
- Sample task 2 questions
- Sample Band 9 Essay: Children and Education
- Sample Answers: discuss the advantages and disadvantages
- How to get ideas for task 2
- Full guide to academic collocations
- How to write a agree/disagree essay
- IELTS Writing Task 2: advantages and disadvantages questions
Enhance Your Essays with Our Efficient Online IELTS Essay Checker
Practicing for IELTS Writing Task 2? You’re in the right place. But after you practice, how can you know if your essay is good? We have a tool to help! It’s called the online IELTS essay checker.
You can find it here. This tool is very easy to use. You write your essay, and our tool checks it. It tells you what mistakes you made and how to fix them. This means you can learn and get better faster. The best part? You save money.
Many students pay a lot for IELTS classes or teachers to check their essays. But our online IELTS essay checker is cheaper and works fast. You don’t have to wait! So, after you read the sample essays on this page, use our online IELTS essay checker.
It can help you see where you can do better. And it’s a good way to get ready for the IELTS exam without spending a lot of money. So, if you want to write better essays and save money, try our online IELTS essay checker.
We made it for students like you. We hope it helps you get the score you want.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How to score band 9 in IELTS writing?
You can score band 9 in IELTS writing by following these steps:
- Make sure you understand the question and answer what is being asked.
- Plan out your essay before you start writing
- Write your essay, review it and then “rewrite” it.
- Get feedback on your essays and find out where you may be losing points.
- Improve your language skills.
Read this post for more tips.
How do you write a 9 band essay?
Practice each essay type and be clear about the criteria for a perfect score. Basically, you need clear formal paragraphing, an essay that ‘flows’ logically and stays focused on the question, which is answered fully with high-level vocabulary and near-perfect grammar.
How can I get 9 in IELTS writing?
Look at model answers and memorize phrases that work for most essays – ‘In the modern world’ is a great way to start. A focus on global issues and international examples rounds out your answer and practice timed essays before the test.
Can you get 10 in IELTS?
No, the top band score is a 9. Be realistic though, some of the best universities in the world require a band 7 or 7.5 for their most challenging courses so a perfect score isn’t necessary in most situations.