Home » IELTS writing task 2 questions » August 2019 task 2 questions
Take a look at our IELTS vocabulary to help you prepare for task 2.
1. Some people believe that to be successful at a sport you need a natural ability and others think that hard work and practice can make you successful. Discuss both views and give your opinion?
2. Some people believe that there will be a reduction in air travel in the future. Do you think that this trend is a positive or negative development?
3. Some people believe that technology has made man more sociable and others think that it has made us less sociable. Discuss both views and give your opinion?
4. At the present time, the population of some countries includes a relatively large number of young adults, compared with the number of older people. Do you think that the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?
5. Some people believe that it is important to give gifts to friends and family to show that we care about them. Others think that there are better ways to show that we care. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
6. Today much of the food people eat gets transported from farms that are thousands of miles away. Some people believe it would be better for the environment and the economy if people only consumed food produced by local farmers. Would the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?
7. With internet improvements, people can share views or opinions on certain goods or services that they have purchased. Is this a good or a bad thing? Discuss both views and give your opinion.
8. The qualities and skills that a person requires to become successful in today's world cannot be learned at a university or any other academic institution. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
9. Shopping has become a new favourite pastime for younger generation. Why is this the case? Should we encourage them to develop other hobbies too?
10. Courses and general online study have recently become very popular. However, some people still prefer to attend classes in person. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
11. Some people think that prison sentences should not be used to deal with criminals. Education and skills training should be used instead. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
12. It is often said that it is not necessary to have a tertiary education to become a successful businessman. To what extent to you agree or disagree with this statement? Give your opinion and relevant examples.
13. Today it is common practice for many business meetings and business training to take place online. Do the advantages of this new development outweigh the disadvantages?
14. Nowadays, internet and television have given ordinary people a chance to become famous. Is this a positive or negative development?
15. Some people from poor and rural backgrounds find it difficult to get a university education. Universities should make it easier for such groups to enrol. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
16. Some people think that it is the responsibility of governments to take care of the environment, while others believe that it is the responsibility of the citizens. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
17. Many people believe that family has a greater influence on a child’s life and development than other factors, such as friends, TV, music and so on. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
18. Science can now offer people a life expectancy of close to one hundred years or even more. Some people view it in a positive light, but others believe it creates some problems. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
19. These days, many people prefer ready to eat food outside of their home rather than homemade food. Do you think this has more advantages or disadvantages?
20. Certain personal qualities cannot be achieved through university studies. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give your opinion and relevant examples.
21. In some countries the quality of life in larger cities is declining. Why do you think this is happening? What measures can be taken to stop it?
For a FREE ebook of our top 10 sample task 2 essays, click here.
For more help with your IELTS task 2 preparation, take a look at our tutorials to help prepare for the IELTS exam.